The RS 3400 Blood Irradiator
THE PREMIER X-RAY BLOOD IRRADIATOR IN THE WORLD PROVIDING SUPERIOR UNIFORMITY AND INDUSTRY LEADING RELIABILITY.
Rad Source In Action
Blood transfusion is a lifesaving procedure for people who are bleeding and people who cannot make a sufficient amount of blood on their own. A rare but almost always fatal complication from blood transfusion is called transfusion-associated graft-versus-host disease (TA-GVHD), where immune cells from the donor blood attack the recipient’s organs and cause a deadly infection that is nearly impossible to fight off.
Over 20 years ago, we pioneered the first-ever FDA-approved blood x-ray irradiation medical device used to prevent TA-GVHD, and we have maintained our status as the industry leader and gold-standard in blood irradiation technology and instrumentation ever since. Our patented x-ray irradiation technology effectively and routinely inactivates the immune cells in donor blood, which diminishes the risk of developing TA-GVHD for the transfusion recipient.
Highest Product Throughput and Volume Available
Processes a variety of blood configurations of up to 6L capacity in 5 minutes – whole blood bags, platelet bags and loaded syringes in the same cycle.
Excellent Dose Uniformity
Combination of the patented Quastar® x-ray emitter, rotating carousel, and new canister with Support Inserts may achieve as low as 1.5 DUR.
Direct Replacement for Gamma Irradiator
U.S. Government recognized safe, direct alternative – for radioactive isotope (gamma) source irradiators.
*RS 3400 is US-FDA cleared and CE marked.
Features & Benefits
X-Ray Designed for Life Science
The Newly Redesigned RS 3400 is a registered medical device with a US FDA 510(k). It is produced and tested in Rad Source’s Buford Georgia, USA facility. Rad Source products conform to the radiation safety guidelines found in US CFR 1020.40.
Radiation safety features of the RS 3400 include redundant safety interlocks to prevent intrusion in to the radiation chamber while in operation. The unit is a Cabinet X-Ray Device that has external emissions far below the Federal Standard for such devices.
Patented Quastar X-ray Emitter
· Patent # 7346147
Unmatched Dose Uniformity
· Dose Uniformity of 1.6 to ~ 1.35
Industry Leading Cycle Times
· Cycle time for 25Gy center dose is less than 5 minutes.
Patented Carousel Rotator
· Uniquely rotates canisters around source w/out rotating contents.
· Holds up to (6) 1 L canisters.
· Can process blood bags, platelet bags, and drawn syringes of
up to 60 mL (e.g. aliquots) in the cycle.
· Patent # 7515686
Direct Cesium Replacement
· No Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) License required.
· No nuclear disposal requirements.
· No additional safety equipment for laboratory staff.
· No additional security requirements.
Simple Power Requirements
· Runs on single power supply.
· Runs at less than 2 kW.
Repairable X-Ray Emitter
· Emitter source is repairable and can operate up to 7 years or more.
Smallest blood irradiator footprint
· 33.3 x 33.9″ (84.6 x 86.0 cm)
· US-FDA cleared, CE marked, and CB Scheme certiﬁed.
Onboard Cooling System
· No facilities water hook-up or plumbing required.
· 33.3 x 33.9 x 66.2″ | 84.6 x 86.0 x 168.24 cm
· 1900 lbs. | 861.8 kg
· Power: 208/240VAC, Single phase, 50/60Hz, 30 Amp, true earth
· Instrument Wiring: 10 AWG L1, L2/N
· 25 Gy min/ 50 Gy max dose rate: 5.5 – 6.5 Gy/min
EUROPE (EDQM) & UK (BCSH)
· 25 Gy min./ 50 Gy max dose rate: 25 Gy/min.
· Dose rate: 5.5-6.5 Gy/min
DOSE UNIFORMITY RATIO (DUR)
PROCESSING VOLUME / CYCLE
· Blood Bags – Up to (6) 600 mL bags
· Platelet Bags – Up to (6) 500 mL bags
· Syringes – Up to (18) 60 mL Syringes
Optional Supplies & Accessories
Installation & Warranty
- DOSE MAPPING
The RS 3400 is dose mapped prior to shipment and at the time of installation. Semi-Annual Dose Maps are provided by Rad Source during the Warranty and Extended Warranty periods.
- 12 MONTH FULL WARRANTY
Includes Installation, Training, Initial Dose Map, Radiation Survey, 2nd Dose Map and all parts, labor & travel.
- EXTENDED WARRANTY PROGRAM
Available for purchase anytime within 12 months from date of installation. Contact for details.
- INTERNATIONAL WARRANTIES
Contact Your Distributor for details.
Safety & Quality
All Rad Source irradiators receive a quality inspection, dose map, and radiation survey prior to shipment and again at installation.
All Rad Source irradiators are manufactured as cabinet x-ray devices and conform to the radiation safety guidelines in US CFR